adcount=1;
"A cruel debate opponent" "Pagan blasphemer" "Reverse-iconoclast" "don't get pissed at him b/c he pwn yalls whiney asses"
My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

Miscellaneous meanderings and philosophical ramblings. The title from a spiral notebook I used to jot down my thoughts on religion and other matters some years ago. I like to write, think and express my views on various issues. Robust discussion is welcome.


Chris of Rights and Charles Martin <-- Lists of debunked Sarah Palin rumors

"Lan astaslem."
I will not submit. I will not surrender.
Choose your language: Francais/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Portugues/Portuguese Espanol/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Friday, September 01, 2006

I don't drink it but...


I can still do something about Miller Brewing Co. providing support for illegal immigrants. For those who are not aware of the matter (thank you Michelle Malkin):



Marchers had to duck into fast-food restaurants for water when they first took to Chicago's streets in support of illegal immigrants five months ago. At the next two marches, family-owned grocery stores offered free bottled water from trucks emblazoned with their names.


This time, as demonstrators march from Chinatown to House Speaker Dennis Hastert's (R-Ill.) Batavia office this weekend, they will have Miller Brewing Co., as a sponsor. The brewer has paid more than $30,000 for a planning convention, materials and newspaper ads publicizing the event.


The support of a major corporation for a controversial political cause shows how fierce the competition has become to woo the growing market of Latino consumers.


For Miller, the march offered a special chance to catch up. This spring the brewer drew the ire of pro-immigrant forces over contributions to U.S. Rep. James Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.), who sponsored legislation that would crack down on illegal immigrants. That prompted a short-lived boycott by some Latino groups.


Now, march advertisements feature not just the organizing committee's trademark blue globe but Miller's logo and a Spanish translation of its "Live Responsibly" slogan, a company effort to build goodwill among Latinos.


Be sure to also see Michelle's more recent post with emails from those who will be not be carrying Miller products until the company alters it's stance.


I own a fairly large bar/restaurant and have cancelled my order that includes all Miller products. I have also called several other establishments similar to mine and have received 3 commitments to do the same. I made it clear the reason I was doing so and went on to explain that I am putting all Budweiser products on sale for the next month.

As for myself, I haven't willingly partaken of Miller beer for some time now. I prefer Guinness and when that isn't available dark beers and I rarely drink anyway. However, I can still find ways to make my voice heard. I've sent the following message to Applebee's:



I visit nearly every Sunday and have for some time. Unfortunately I see that you carry Miller Brewing products. If you are not aware, Miller Brewing recently sponsored a demonstration that was in support of illegal immigrants. This support for complete disregard [of the] laws of our nation is unacceptable. I will not be attending your restaurant [while] you carry Miller Brewing products, as long as Miller Brewing does not change it's stance.


It will be simple enough for me to find a restaurant that doesn't serve Miller products or if need be, those that don't even serve beer until Miller Brewing changes it's position and no longer supports breaking the laws of our nation. In fact, I'm going to send similar emails to several chains in the area, explaining that while I won't be going to Applebee's, they won't benefit, if I can verify from their online menus that they carry Miller Brewing Co. products as well. This Sunday should be interesting as I've only found one chain, so far, that indicates in it's online menu that it carries Miller products. It won't be difficult to ask before I'm seated and if all else fails, fast food is nearby.


I encourage others to do the same.


---


Filed under: Culture -- News -- Politics -- News/Politics


Blogs with open posts: Jo's Cafe -- The Random Yak -- Is It Just Me? -- Adam's Blog -- Blue Star Chronicles -- Pirate's Cove -- third world county -- TMH's Bacon Bits -- Stuck On Stupid -- The Crazy Rants of Samantha Burns


Technorati Tags:  --

Trackback URI                             Submit this post on Digg.com! width=                     View blog reactions
<< Home










Click for Latest Posts

Creative Commons License


As defined and limited by the license, any use of work from this blog, must be attributed to Mark K. Sprengel and include a link back to this blog.




Get updates by e-mail:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Widgetize! Subscribe Social Bookmark Blogs that link here
My Technorati profile


Also, follow me on Twitter

Search this blog:

powered by Aditya


Recent Comments: